The Department of Agriculture Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) has undertaken a review of AFBI, as part of the normal periodic review of all public bodies.
The review examined the role of AFBI, opportunities for AFBI to deliver its role more effectively and efficiently, and is also identified any new areas of science and technology in which AFBI should play a leading role in the future. The review examined whether governance arrangements for the organisation meet recognised principles of good corporate governance. A key aspect of the review involved consultation with industry stakeholders on how AFBI can best meet the science and technology needs of the Northern Ireland and global agri-food industry both currently and in the future.
Results from the review can be accessed HERE.
AFBI’s Mission and Vision
The Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI) is one of Northern Ireland’s largest science and technology organisations, providing technical and scientific support for both the local and global agri-food and biosciences sectors. In line with its Vision of ‘Advancing the Local and Global Agri-Food and Biosciences Sectors through Scientific Excellence’, AFBI undertakes a broad portfolio of scientific research, surveillance, and analytical and diagnostic testing for a range of local, national and international customers in order to provide scientific solutions to the global challenges of climate change, food security, disease control and environmental protection. Since its formation in 2006, AFBI has significantly increased its external funding, with 40% of AFBI revenue currently derived from a wide range of external funding bodies, including commercial companies.
The Institute also undertakes an assigned work programme on behalf of the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) which comprises statutory and analytical testing, disease surveillance and emergency response activity, together with research and development and specialist advice in the following areas:
- Sustainable livestock and food systems
- Climate change, land use and ecosystem services
- Fisheries and aquatic ecosystems
- Food safety, quality and innovation
- Animal health and welfare
- Agri-food and rural economics
AFBI’s Mission – ‘Enhancing industry innovation and competitiveness and informing Government Policy across the agri-food and rural sectors through excellence in Scientific Services, Research and Development and Knowledge Exchange’.
- DAERA Minister pays visit to AFBI Hillsborough site 14 February 2020
- AFBI research examines supplementation strategies for high quality grass silage 21 January 2020
- INNOVAR KICKS OFF! Next-generation variety testing for improved cropping on European farmland 09 January 2020
- Go north, and swim fast - New evidence of migration of young salmon leaving Ireland 20 December 2019