The Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI) at Loughgall, Co Armagh will be hosting a ‘More from Grass’ event on Tuesday 20th June.
AFBI grassland scientists from Loughgall, Newforge, Crossnacreevy and Hillsborough will be present, along with staff from the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE).
Many grassland farms in Northern Ireland are achieving well below their potential in terms of grass output and ‘More from Grass’ plans to deal with several key aspects of grassland management which affect production and utilisation.
This will include presentations and demonstrations on:
- Maximising production from grass
- Soil and nutrient management
- Grass varieties and species
- Grass Check
- Grass budgeting
- Choosing the best varieties for reseeding.
The event will take the form of a number of field stops, each of 10 minutes. In addition there will be supporting stands from AgriSearch, Ulster Grassland Society and the AFBI Hillsborough Feed Information Service
Visitors should aim to arrive between 12.00 and 3.00pm in the afternoon or between 6.00 and 7.30pm in the evening and the tour of the stops will take between 1-2 hours. Car and bus parking will be available at Loughgall Country Park, with a shuttle-bus service to the Church Field farmyard, Ballygasey Road. A catering stand will also be available.
More from Grass will be a qualifying event for Business Development Groups: farmers should ensure that they complete registration forms at the event.
This is a ‘MUST ATTEND EVENT’ for all grassland farmers with an interest in maximising grass production and utilisation for efficient livestock production.
Further details are available from AFBI Loughgall Tel: 02838 892344.
Notes to editors:
AFBI carries out high quality technology research and development, statutory, analytical, and diagnostic testing functions for DAERA and other Government departments, public bodies and commercial companies.
AFBI's Vision is to Advance the Local and Global Agri-food Sectors Through Scientific Excellence.
All media enquiries to AFBI Press Office
- Shaping Livestock Farming for 2030 - AFBI Science Outlook Conference Highlights Key Role of Science in Profitable and Sustainable Farming 16 March 2018
- AFBI Science Outlook Conference Tackles the Key Issues Bovine TB, Genetic Progress and Ammonia 06 March 2018
- Dutch Consulate Impressed by Agri-Environment Research at AFBI 20 February 2018
- Future of Livestock Farming under Spotlight at Major AFBI Conference 16 February 2018