The 5th Nursten Postgraduate Flavour Conference was recently held at the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI) in Belfast.
Dr Janeen McKinnie-Hill, a Food Research Scientist in AFBI, organised the conference with help from colleagues in Food Research Branch. Forty eight delegates from across the UK and Ireland converged on AFBI-Newforge to discuss all things flavoursome.
The conference is held annually and offers postgraduate students and researchers working in the field of flavour, the opportunity to discuss advances in this area. The conference is held in memory of the late Professor Harry Nursten, previously Professor of Food Science and Nutrition at Reading University. This was the first year it was held outside GB.
Postgraduate students and researchers from the Universities of Reading and Nottingham, University College Dublin, University College Cork and Teagasc, as well as industry representatives, enjoyed participating in workshops and listening to presentations by David Baines Consultancy, Pepsico and Treatt.
Award winning presentations from students included:
- Best overall presentation - Nursten Trophy and prize (sponsored by Society of Chemistry in Industry, SCI):
Martha Skinner, University of Nottingham
- Best presentation on flavour chemistry (Royal Society of Chemistry, RSC):
Stephanie Bull, University of Reading
- Best presentation for industry application (SCI):
Imogen Ramsey, University of Nottingham
- Most popular presentation (Institute of Food Science and Technology, IFST):
Irene Chong, AFBI and University College Cork
- Best first year presentation (AFBI):
Marit Nijman, University of Nottingham
- Special commendation prizes (RSC):
Tiffany Lau, University of Reading
Vasiliki Gkarane, University College Dublin
Paula Conroy, University College Cork
Nurfarhana MohdNor, University of Reading
Finally, delegates thoroughly enjoyed the conference dinner which was held at the Hilden Brewery, Lisburn and which was sponsored by ‘Women in Fragrance and Flavour Companies-UK’. This offered the opportunity for a fascinating tour of the brewing facilities and some practical experience of analysing the flavour of beer!
Notes to editors:
AFBI carries out high quality technology research and development, statutory, analytical, and diagnostic testing functions for DAERA and other Government departments, public bodies and commercial companies.
AFBI's Vision is to Advance the Local and Global Agri-food Sectors through Scientific Excellence.
All media enquiries to AFBI Press Office
- Disability Action Plan 2017-2021 Consultation 21 November 2017
- Lord Donald Curry Delivers Key Note George Scott Robertson Memorial Lecture 2017 21 November 2017
- AFBI Cattle Health Scheme 10 Year Anniversary Celebration 21 November 2017
- Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute Leads New EU Project To Support Marine Protected Areas and Species 16 November 2017