Soil quality indicators for sustainable agriculture and the aquatic environment in Northern Ireland
Protection Of Soil Quality
An effective soil monitoring programme is essential to provide the information needed to understand the extent, diversity and quality of our current soil resource and how it is changing. The programme outlined in this proposal should allow us to identify trends, make informed decisions about future soil management and provide much of the information needed to develop soil quality indicators relevant to Northern Ireland.
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. , Wright, P. (2007). Slurry acceptance mapping in Northern Ireland for runoff risk assessment. Soil Use and Management, 23:245-253
- Jordan, C. , Zhang, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2007). Using GIS and statistics to study the influences of geology on probability features of surface soil geochemistry in Northern Ireland. Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 93:135-152
- Zhang, C. , Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2007). Using neighbourhood statistics and GIS to quantify and visualize spatial variation in environmental variables: An example using Ni concentrations in the topsoils of Northern Ireland. Geoderma, 137(3-4):466-476
- Hall, J. R. , Ashmore, M. R. , Fawehinimi, J. , Jordan, C. , Lofts, S. , Shotbolt, L. , Spurgeon, D. , Svendsen, C. , Tipping, E. (2006). Developing a critical load approach for national risk assessments of atmospheric metal deposition. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 25(3):883-890
- Bradley, R. I. , Milne, R. , Bell, J. , Lilly, A. , Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2005). A soil carbon and land use database for the United Kingdom. Soil Use and Management, 21:363-369
- Jordan, C. , Svehla, G. (1982). A study of the interaction between the osazone of dihydroxytartaric acid and calcium ions in alkaline solution using differential pulse polarography. Microchemical Journal, 27:162-167
- Jordan, C. , Svehla, G. (1981). An investigation of the voltammetric characteristics of the osazone of dihyroxytartaric acid. Analytica Chimica Acta, 129:133-143
- Jordan, C. , Svehla, G. (1981). The use of differential pulse polarography to monitor and characterise the approach to equilibrium of aqueous solutions of the osazone of dihydroxytartaric acid. Analytica Chimica Acta, 129:145-152
- Jordan, C. , Svehla, G. (1981). A voltammetric study of the osazone of dihydroxytartaric acid. Proceedings of the Analytical Division, 18:243-247
- Jordan, C. , Svehla, G. , Glockliing, F. (1980). A voltammetric study of some tris(trimethylsilyl)methyl tin derivatives. Analytica Chimica Acta, 117:193-208
- Jordan, C. (1980). The ionic strength and buffer capacity of wide-range buffers for polarography. Microchemical Journal, 25:492-499
- Jordan, C. (1980). The application of differential spectrophotometry to the determination of fluoride using AFBS. Proceedings of the Analytical Division, 17:18-20
- Jordan, C. , Leonard, M. A. (1979). The assessment of errors in differential spectrophotometry. Microchemical Journal, 24:560-576
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2006). Soil quality monitoring in Northern Ireland. In: Agricultural Research Forum 2006, (Eds. Collins, J. F., Diskin, M. G.), Agricultural Research Forum, Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
- Higgins, A. J. (2007). Soil moisture data for Lough Brickland. Data supplied to QUB PhD student Gordon clarke re his hydrogeological model of the Lough Brickland area.
- Jordan, C. (2007). Soil quality map (ALC) for Northern Ireland. Map and data supplied to Grace Jennings, Enviros Consulting Ltd, Belfast for use re EHS and the State of The Environment Report (Northern Ireland). (In-Press)
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. , Hamill, K. P. (2007). The 1:250,000 scale soil map of Northern Ireland with associated attribute data. For integration with RoI soil maps to create a new 1:500,000 scale General Soil Map of Ireland. (In-Press)
- Higgins, A. J. , Jordan, C. (2007). Soil type and land class for the area within 25km radius of Newry. Data and advice supplied to M/s S Mackin, a postgraduate from UUC for use in her MSc work.
- Higgins, A. J. , Jordan, C. (2006). Summary statistics for Northern Ireland (for peat and non-peat soils). Data supplied as part of UK contribution to EU ENVASSO program (see www.envasso.com) (In-Press)
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. , Hamill, K. P. (2006). Maps of available-Mg in Northern Ireland soils by Mg-index. Maps supplied to Jerry McHoul, Technical Manager UK & Ireland, Potash Ltd., Hertford for free use by farmers and advisers. (In-Press)
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2006). Total and extractable Ni concentrations in the Carrick area. Data supplied to Bryn Wright, Liverpool John Moores University re honours project.
- Jordan, C. (2005). Review of SNIFFER Project Report LQ06 Soil Resilience. Review carried out on behalf of EHS 14th June 2005.
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2005). UK Moss Survey 2005 - NI component. Resampling of mosses for update of year 2000 metal deposition estimates by CEH.
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2005). Soil HOST data for NI on a 1 km polygon grid with associated water release characteristics. NI soil datasets provided to ADAS for DEFRA project tp produce a nitrate model to identify potential NVZ derogation areas for the UK.
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2005). Frost-free depth of soil at Eden salt mines. Advice to DETINI 10th May 2005.
- Higgins, A. J. , Jordan, C. (2005). Northern Ireland Forest Soil Classification. Data provided to Dr Ian Bradley, NSRI, 12 May, 2005.
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2005). Soil attribute datasets for 3 farms. Data provided to Andrew Dale, ARINI for use in his PhD thesis.
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2005). Web access to maps in the Science Service. Live demo of Science Service GIS, AEB seminar programme, Newforge, 23rd Feb 2005
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2005). Web Browser Access to Digital Maps. User Guide for Science Service GIS
- Jordan, C. (2004). Environmental datasets for the River Bush catchment. Soil, land and HOST class, land cover (CORINE), soil pH, Olsen-P, total-P and stream order supplied to EHS WMU.
- Jordan, C. (2003). A screening tool to identify and characterise diffuse pollution pressures - data for Northern Ireland. Provision of geo-referenced soil and environmental datasets for input to the modelling tool for Northern Ireland (In-Press)
- Lilly, A. , Grieve, I. C. , Towers, W. , Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. , Stutter, M. , Futter, M. (2007). Climate change, land management and erosion in the organic and organo-mineral soils in Scotland and Northern Ireland (R06AC104 - UKCC21). Report for inception meeting of SNH/SNIFFER Project R06AC104 - UKCC21. (In-Press)
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2007). Summary statistics and histograms relating to soil fertility in Northern Ireland from the 2004-05 resurvey of 5 km grid points. For inclusion in the 'State of the Environment Report 2007' (pages 84, 95, 96) produced by Enviros consulting on behalf of EHS in March 2008.
- Jordan, C. (2006). A National Soil Monitoring Network: Review and Assessment Study. Input for Northern Ireland re SNIFFER Project LQ09.
- Higgins, A. J. , Jordan, C. (2005). Land quality and soil data and maps for areas of interest in Northern Ireland. Advice on land quality and soil issues to consultants involved in preparation of Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) on behalf of government bodies - between 50 and 100 enquiries per annum.
- Jordan, C. , Higgins, A. J. (2005). Science Service Web Map Browser User Guide V1.0. User Guide for Science Service Web Map Browser.
- Ashmore, M. R. , Fawehinimi, J. , Hall, J. R. , Jordan, C. , Lofts, S. , Shotbolt, L. , Spurgeon, D. , Svendsen, C. , Tipping, E. (2004). Further Development Of An Effects Based Approach For Cadmium, Copper, Lead And Zinc. A study to derive critical loads of heavy metals in soils, sediments and waters of the UK. DEFRA Final Report EPG 1/3/188.
- Jordan, C. (2004). A portal to access key environmental datasets - the way forward. Document presented to the DARD GIS Forum.
- Milne, R. , Bradley, R. I. , Jordan, C. , Brown, T. A. W. (2004). Development of an improved version of the soil carbon inventory for the UK LULUCF GHG Inventory. CEH Edinburgh Report: UK emissions by sources and removals by sinks due to land use, land use change and forestry activities. Annual report (2004) for DEFRA Contract CEPG1/GA01054.
- Jordan, C. (2004). Arsenic and Mercury in the soils, sediments and waters of Northern Ireland. Bradford Research Group: Toxic metals in soils and surface waters of the UK.
- Jordan, C. (2004). How Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland delivers customer benefits. EuroGeographics - Annual Report 2003.