Pathogens are diagnosed using a variety of ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 accredited techniques such as classical virology, serology, molecular diagnostics, bacteriology, parasitology, phylogenetic analysis, sequence and genome analysis, biochemistry and histopathogy.
A brochure detailing the unit and its services can viewed and downloaded here: Fish diseases unit brochure
Diagnostic testing services
These services are available to private aquaculture companies, members of the public and private veterinary practices.
Identification of -
- Salmonid alphavirus (SAV: cause of pancreas disease and sleeping disease)
- Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis Virus (IPNV)
- Viral Haemorrhagic Septicaemia Virus (VHSV)
- Infectious Haematopoietic Necrosis Virus (IHNV)
- Marteilia refringens, Bonamia ostreae and exitiosa in oysters
- Gyrodactylus salaris
- Renibacterium salmoninarum (cause of bacterial kidney disease)
- Spring Viraemia of Carp Virus (SVCV)
- Infectious Salmon Anaemia Virus (ISAV)
- Atlantic Salmon Paramyxovirus (ASPV)
- Piscichlamydia salmonis
- Tenacibaculum maritimum
- Paranucleospora (theridion)
- Neoparamoeba spp
- Microsporidian spp
- Koi Herpes Virus (KHV)
- Epizootic Haematopoietic Necrosis Virus (EHNV)
- Ostreid herpes virus 1 (screening and confirmation of μ variant)
All diagnostic samples should be accompanied by a submission form.
Samples must be packaged according to appropriate legislation.
For details see: Packaging and transport of samples