Pathogens are diagnosed using a variety of ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 accredited techniques such as classical virology, serology, molecular diagnostics, bacteriology, parasitology, phylogenetic analysis, sequence and genome analysis, biochemistry and histopathogy.
A brochure detailing the unit and its services can viewed and downloaded
Fish diseases unit brochure
Diagnostic testing services
These services are available to private aquaculture companies, members of the public and private veterinary practices.
Identification of -
- Salmonid alphavirus (SAV: cause of pancreas disease and sleeping disease)
- Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis Virus (IPNV)
- Viral Haemorrhagic Septicaemia Virus (VHSV)
- Infectious Haematopoietic Necrosis Virus (IHNV)
- Marteilia refringens, Bonamia ostreae and exitiosa in oysters
- Gyrodactylus salaris
- Renibacterium salmoninarum (cause of bacterial kidney disease)
- Spring Viraemia of Carp Virus (SVCV)
- Infectious Salmon Anaemia Virus (ISAV)
- Atlantic Salmon Paramyxovirus (ASPV)
- Piscichlamydia salmonis
- Tenacibaculum maritimum
- Paranucleospora (theridion)
- Neoparamoeba spp
- Microsporidian spp
- Koi Herpes Virus (KHV)
- Epizootic Haematopoietic Necrosis Virus (EHNV)
- Ostreid herpes virus 1 (screening and confirmation of μ variant)
All diagnostic samples should be accompanied by a submission form.
Samples must be packaged according to appropriate legislation.
For details see: Packaging and transport of samples