Within agriculture, AD can be carried out on-farm, or in larger centralised AD plants.
In order to provide much needed information to the industry on the performance and economics of on-farm AD in Northern Ireland, the Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute installed an on-farm anaerobic digester on their Hillsborough site during 2008. The main research objectives of the AFBI programme are to:
- Determine the baseline performance of on-farm digestion utilising, in the first instance, dairy cow slurry.
- Research methods for enhancing digester performance.
- Research post digestion treatments of digestate.
- Research methods for efficient use of energy produced.
- Determine the contribution of AD to plant nutrient management.
- Determine lifecycle benefits of AD.