This work aims to develop a better understanding of the major evolving economic, social and environmental forces driving rural environmental change and to identify key market and policy instruments facilitating the development of a sustainable countryside.
Areas of work include:
- Economic valuation of natural capital assets
- Economics of ecosystem services
- Improving forest productivity and exploiting opportunities
- Up-skilling within the Northern Ireland farming sector. An assessment of the effectiveness of alternative models for delivering training and life-long learning within the Northern Ireland agriculture sector
- An assessment of the impact of government support measures in encouraging entrepreneurship, business innovation and diversification at the farm level