Jump to navigation
- 6 Jun 2018- Dairy Open Day: AFBI will be holding a major Dairy Open Day at Hillsborough, with the theme of Dairy Innovation 2018 - Profiting from AFBI Research. Run in partnership with AgriSearch and CAFRE, it will feature current research work at AFBI in support of the dairy sector. The event will provide visitors with the opportunity to view the latest research and to discuss how AFBI scientists are using the latest technologies to find new ways of optimising farming practices. REGISTER HERE
This is a ‘not to be missed’ occasion to note in your forward planning for the summer.
- 7 Jun 2018- Open Meeting: AFBI are hosting a stakeholder Open Day at Hillsborough which will also see the launch of the new AFBI Corporate Plan, along with a selection of new research being undertaken at the Institute.
- 16-19 May- Balmoral Show 2018 Northern Ireland's biggest agricultural and rural life event took place this year over 4 days at the Balmoral Park exhibition site. AFBI, as usual, was at the show promoting its science and how it benefits the NI agri-food industry. This year however, AFBI was out in force on its own stand for the first time, exhibiting independently as part of wider outreach activity.
- 13 Mar 2018- AFBI Outlook Conference: The second annual AFBI Outlook Conference will focus on recent developments in science which will have significant implications for the local and global agri-food sector. Key topics for discussion will include, Bovine Tuberculosis – Progress Towards a Science-Based Solution, Livestock Improvement Through Genetic Selection and the Power of Big Data and Science and Land Management - Opportunities to Deliver Sustainable Intensification. An agenda for the event can be viewed HERE This is your chance to hear about the latest developments in science and how these will shape the future of the local and global agri-food industry. The conference will run from 10am to 4pm at the Hilton Hotel, Templepatrick.
- 06 Feb 2018- Schools Open Day at AFBI Hillsborough: Over 160 GCSE, BTEC and A-Level agriculture, and biological sciences students from schools and colleges across Northern Ireland descended on AFBI Hillsborough to see how Agricultural Research takes place, find out about the skills and education that our researchers and farm staff have and other careers available to them in this area.
- 14-17 Feb 2018- Northern Ireland Science Festival:
RV Corystes: for 4 days the Research vessel will be open to welcome the public on board to see how and why we estimate fish populations and study the marine environment.
Roadshows: AFBI joined the NISF roving science roadshows across Northern Ireland again this year. AFBI were at Dungannon with our entomologists, Coleraine with our food researchers, Enniskillen and our freshwater fisheries scientists and concluded on the Sunday in Newry with our Plant Pathologists. Visitors to the AFBI stand found out what wasps are for, why food smells the way it does, what is swimming around in Lough Erne and why football stadia are looking to plant pathologists for help at the dawn of sport on 4K UHD TV!