- 06 Feb 2018: Schools Open Day at AFBI Hillsborough - GCSE, BTEC and A-Level students from a range of schools and colleges will descend on AFBI Hillsborough to see how Agricultural Research takes place, find out about the skills and eductaionthat our researcher and farm staff have and other careers available to them in this area.
- 14-17 Feb 2018: Northern Ireland Science Festival:
RV Corystes: for 4 days the Research vessel will be open to welcome the public on board to see how and why we estimate fish populations and study the marine environment. Book through www.nisciencefestival.com
Roadshows: AFBI will be joining the NISF roving science roadshows across Northern Ireland again this year. AFBI will be at Dungannon with our Entomologists, Coleraine with our food researchers, Enniskillen and our freshwater fisheries scientists and concluding on the Sunday in Newry with our Plant Pathologists. So if you wnt to find out what wasps are for, why food smells the way it does, what is swimming around in Lough Erne or why football stadia are looking to plant pathologists for help at the dawn of sport on 4K UHD TV, then come along to one of the free to attend events at any of these locations.
- 13 Mar 2018: The second annual AFBI Outlook Conference will focus on recent developments in science which will have significant implications for the local and global agri-food sector.
Key topics for discussion will include, Bovine Tuberculosis – Progress Towards a Science-Based Solution, Livestock Improvement Through Genetic Selection and the Power of Big Data and Science and Land Management - Opportunities to Deliver Sustainable Intensification. This is your chance to hear about the latest developments in science and how these will shape the future of the local and global agri-food industry. The conference will run from 10am to 4pm at the Hilton Hotel, Templepatrick.
- 14 Dec 2017: AFBI attended the RUAS Winter Fair at Balmoral Park, Maze, Lisburn on Thursday 14th December.
- 29 Nov 2017: AFBI Lunchtime Lecture: "Agroforestry - from Research to Policy to Practice" by Professor Jim McAdam was held at on 29th November at AFBI Headquarters and was well attended by a range of stakeholders and AFBI staff.
- 29 Nov 2017: The Efficient Lamb Production Conference was held at CAFRE's Greenmount College.
- 17 Nov 2017: The George Scott Robertson Memorial Lecture was held in the Riddel Hall, Belfast and was presented by Lord Donald Curry. The lecture was jointly organised by AFBI, QUB, DAERA and UFU and was entitled "Farming and Food - A Sustainable Future".
- 16 Nov 2017: The COMPASS Project led and coordinated by researchers from AFBI was formally launched in Ballycastle.
- 15 Nov 2017: A Farmer and Vet Event was held to celebrate the AFBI Cattle Health Scheme 10th Anniversary.
- 6 Nov 2017: Young Vet Network Meeting was held in AFBI Veterinary Sciences Division, Library.
- 29 Oct - 3 Nov 2017: AFBI attended the World Dairy Conference which was held in the Waterfront Hall in Belfast.
- 10-12 Oct 2017: AFBI attending the Institute of Fisheries Management Conference in the Waterfront Hall, Belfast.
- 6 Oct 2017: AVTRW ( Association for Veterinary Teaching and Research Work) Meeting was held at AFBI Hillsborough
- 1 Oct 2017: Day and Night at the Museum AFBI Aquatics eels display and scientist on hand to talk to the public.
- 12, 13, and 14 Sept 2017: Dairy Farm Walks. AFBI hosted a series of three farm walks from 12-14 September in Banbridge (Co Down), Enniskillen (Co Fermanagh) and Newtownstewart (Co Tyrone) which were attended by almost 500 people. At these events, AFBI's dairy scientists addressed key issues within dairy production and presented their latest research findings across a broad spectrum of management challenges currently facing the local dairy industry. A booklet from the event can be VIEWED HERE and videos from each day can be VIEWED HERE