AFBI is a partner in an EU funded NASCO project, SMOLTRACK, through which salmon smolts from a number of rivers across Europe are being monitored.
The project is now active in the following locations:
- Ireland – River Erriff
- Northern Ireland – River Bush
- England – River Tamar
- Spain – River Ulla & River Tea
- Denmark – River Skjern
The SMOLTRACK project involves counting, tagging and tracking smolts on each river. Traps are used to catch downstream migrating salmon smolts for tagging before releasing them to continue their seaward migration.
The salmon smolts are tagged with miniature acoustic transmitters and their subsequent migration is followed via acoustic listening stations situated at various locations.
In order to provide stakeholders and other interested parties a chance to follow and compare the migration timing of smolts in several countries, the daily number of salmon smolts counted in each system is uploaded for online viewing:
Notes to editors:
AFBI carries out high quality technology research and development, statutory, analytical, and diagnostic testing functions for DAERA and other Government departments, public bodies and commercial companies.
AFBI's Vision is to use scientific excellence to advance the local and global agri-food sector.
All media enquiries to AFBI Press Office
- AFBI Scientist wins Belfast Ambassador Award 14 November 2018
- AFBI survey identifies factors influencing grass silage quality on dairy farms 13 November 2018
- AFBI co-hosts Beef Conference 09 November 2018
- ARCH Science Event held at AFBI 29 October 2018