- 12 June 2019 - Lunchtime lecture “Ecosystem Services and the Ecointensification of Shellfish Aquaculture” - will be held at 1pm in Room G5 AFBI Headquarters, 18a Newforge Lane, Malone Upper, Belfast, BT9 5PX by Guest Lecturer Dr João Ferreira, Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, Faculty of Sciences & Technology , New University of Lisbon - Universidade Nova de Lisboa. See HERE more details and to register.
- Date TBC - AFBI Scientific Outlook Conference: It is with regret that due to circumstances beyond our control we have decided to postpone our Scientific Outlook conference which was scheduled for 3 April 2019, however it is the intention to set a new date for the conference later in the year. The details of the conference are as follows: this AFBI Conference now in its third year will focus on key challenges and opportunities and associated recent scientific developments which are expected to have significant implications for the local and global agri-food sector. Key topics for discussion will include (1) dairy production in 2030, (2) air quality - what do we need to do for future generations, and (3) managing antimicrobial resistance. This is your chance to hear about the latest developments in science and how these will shape the future of the local and global agri-food industry. Details on the speakers, which will include internationally renowned researchers and influential stakeholders, will follow!
- 15 May - 18 May 2019 - Balmoral Show. Northern Ireland's biggest agricultural and rural life event took place this year over 4 days at the Balmoral Park EIKON Exhibition Centre in Lisburn. AFBI was at the show promoting its science and how it benefits the NI agri-food industry. See HERE for some images from the show.
- 16 Feb - 18 Feb 2019 - Tours of AFBI Research Vessel Corystes: The AFBI research vessel Corystes was docked in Belfast for three days and was fully booked throughout the festival with visitors including the Belfast Lord Mayor and wide range of members of the public who learnt all about the work and research AFBI carry out whilst at sea.
- 16 Feb - 19 Feb 2019 - NI Science Festival Roadshows: AFBI again were fully involved in some super events during the festival including four roadshows held in Newry, Enniskillen, Dungannon and Ballymena. Approximately 1500 children came through the doors over the four days of the roadshows with AFBI staff demonstrating some interesting scientific displays for scientists of the future. The four days comprised of a Funky Chicken (food hygiene) display in Newry, an eels and freshwater display in Enniskillen, a flavour sensory display in Dungannon and finally AFBI vets showed those attending a "veterinary nasties" display in Ballymena.
- 28 Feb - 1 March 2019 - All-Ireland Meat Science Conference: This Conference showcased the breadth of meat science research conducted on the island of ireland and facilitated discussion between scientists and industry. The conference attracted 82 delegates with a balance of those attending from the meat industry and specific organisation from NI, ROI and GB.
- 1 Feb 2019 - AFBI Agricultural & Food Economics Seminar: "Dynamics of Dairy Farm Productivity Growth". The seminar by Dr Shingo Kimura from the OECD presented cross-country comparisons of productivity growth in the dairy farm sector in England, Estonia and the Netherlands. These country comparisons show how different policy environments and farm structural characteristics lead to different dynamics driving productivity change.
Presentations from the Seminar can be found here
- 15 Jan 2018 - Woody Plant Seminar: AFBI held a seminar to discuss the future research needs of industries reliant on wood based plants in Northern Ireland. The AFBI led seminar, held in Armagh City Hotel featured presentations from experts representing AFBI, QUB, UU, Teagasc and UCD. The event attracted over 40 stakeholders from 18 different organisations representing farming, the environment, forestry, science organisations and policy makers.
- 13 Dec 2018 - RUAS Winter Fair: AFBI were out in force at the RUAS Winter Dairy Fair, promoting the work of our dairy scientists, animal health, soils and plant experts, all of which helped visitors with improving their farm productivity. AFBI dairy researchers and vets were on hand to help farmers with health planning for their animals and silage quality and zero-grazing.
- 21 Nov 2018 - Beef Conference: AFBI, along with CAFRE, the UFU, LMC and National Beef Association organised an all-day conference for beef farmers to highlight best practice and the results of the latest production and animal health research, entitled 'Healthy Cattle, Hela
- 12-15 Nov 2018 - Fall Forum: The 6th AFBI-initiated Fall Forum came back to Belfast in 2018. Bringing together the top echelons of agri-research scientists from the UK, Ireland, Canada and the US, along with representatives from NZ and Australia for twhat promises to be the biggest meeeting yet. This event explored the latest developments and agri-food challenges which can be addressed through research and innovation.
- 3 Oct 2018 - AFBI Postgraduate Showcase 'The Future': This event provided a forum where post-grad researchers, practitioners, industry leaders and policy makers could promote, interact and discuss the cutting edge research ongoing within AFBI. The conference programme was designed to facilitate both formal and informal interactions among all participants. Oral and poster sessions were presented providing the conference attendees the opportunity to interact with colleagues and researchers in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
- 6 Jun 2018- Dairy Open Day: AFBI held a major Dairy Open Day at Hillsborough, with the theme of Dairy Innovation 2018 - Profiting from AFBI Research. Run in partnership with AgriSearch and CAFRE, it featured current research work at AFBI in support of the dairy sector. The event will provide visitors with the opportunity to view the latest research and to discuss how AFBI scientists are using the latest technologies to find new ways of optimising farming practices.
A full page of information devoted to the Dairy Open Day event can be found here
- 7 Jun 2018- Open Meeting: AFBI hosted a stakeholder Open Day at Hillsborough which highlighted a selection of new research being undertaken at the Institute as well as a meet the scientist event following the formal proceedings.
- 16-19 May- Balmoral Show 2018 Northern Ireland's biggest agricultural and rural life event took place this year over 4 days at the Balmoral Park exhibition site. AFBI, as usual, was at the show promoting its science and how it benefits the NI agri-food industry. This year however, AFBI was out in force on its own stand for the first time, exhibiting independently as part of wider outreach activity.
- 13 Mar 2018- AFBI Outlook Conference: The second annual AFBI Outlook Conference will focus on recent developments in science which will have significant implications for the local and global agri-food sector. Key topics for discussion will include, Bovine Tuberculosis – Progress Towards a Science-Based Solution, Livestock Improvement Through Genetic Selection and the Power of Big Data and Science and Land Management - Opportunities to Deliver Sustainable Intensification. An agenda for the event can be viewed HERE This is your chance to hear about the latest developments in science and how these will shape the future of the local and global agri-food industry. The conference will run from 10am to 4pm at the Hilton Hotel, Templepatrick.
- 06 Feb 2018- Schools Open Day at AFBI Hillsborough: Over 160 GCSE, BTEC and A-Level agriculture, and biological sciences students from schools and colleges across Northern Ireland descended on AFBI Hillsborough to see how Agricultural Research takes place, find out about the skills and education that our researchers and farm staff have and other careers available to them in this area.