AFBI is actively involved in various national and international research projects on aquatic organisms involving genetic techniques.
Specific research lines include:
- Studies on genetic population structure in fish stocks
- Genetic Assignment and Genetic Stock Identification studies on Atlantic salmon and sea trout
- Effects of aquaculture escapees on the genetics of wild Atlantic salmon
- Parental assignment studies in supportive breeding programmes
- Environmental DNA (eDNA) studies on presence/absence of cryptic aquatic organisms