AFBI provides an integrated statistical and IT service to public and private sector customers in statistical consultancy, computer application development and specialist training.
Statistical consultancy services
Advice and assistance with:
- design of experiments and surveys
- statistical analysis of experimental and survey data
- interpretation and reporting of results
Statistical methodologies include:
- the analysis of data using linear, generalised linear and mixed models
- development of statistical models for prediction and forecasting
- time series, repeated measures and multivariate analyses
- epidemiological and sensory evaluation studies
- All statistical analyses meet the ISO9001 quality assurance standard.
Computing and Information services
AFBI offers scientific computing solutions and expertise in:
- web and windows based applications for the agri-food industry, underpinned by sound statistical methodology
- online questionnaires and surveys
- computer application solutions for the efficient management of scientific data
Specialist areas include:
- the provision of online benchmarking applications
- installation of bespoke systems in customers’ premises
- computer application solutions to aid farmers in meeting legislative requirements
Examples from our portfolio include:
- Pig Grading Information System (PiGIS) providing pig producers with detailed statistical information on their data and benchmarking with the “best” producers
- decision-support tools to help farmers meet the Nitrates Directive requirements
- Dairy Herd Fertility Benchmarking to help farmers identify poor fertility in dairy cows and benchmark with other herds
- Recommended Lists to enable farmers and growers to identify the best performing new varieties in all major cereals, potatoes, forage and herbage species used in Northern Ireland
AFBI offers various statistical and computer application topics, at both introductory and advanced levels, in a dedicated training suite at it's headquarters on Newforge Lane, Belfast.
Courses can be tailored to meet the specific needs of customers.
For more information on these services and the training courses offered contact:
Statistics Consultancy & Information Systems Branch
Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute