AFBI has expertise in undertaking agronomic plot trials to study effects of fertiliser products, soil amendments (e.g. lime and soil conditioners) , slurry on yield and nutrient offtake by grass and arable crops, and effects on greenhouse gas emissons.
AFBI's expertise includes:
- Managing soils for better crops
- Soil surveying
- Assessing soil physical, chemical and biological properties
- Plant analysis (major and trace elements, sward botanical composition)
- Water analysis (both chemical and biological indicators of water quality)
- Geographical Information Systems
- Measuring nutrient losses to water and air
- Nutrient management planning
- 15N stable isotopes techniques to study nitrogen cycling processes including gaseous emissions
AFBI research operates to ISO9001 standards and many analytical methods have United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) accreditation.
For more information contact:
Dr Catherine Watson
Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute